The Ukrainian Orthodox Cemetery of Sundown was founded in 1946 to provide burial space for members of the St. Peter and St. Paul Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Sundown and their families. As trustees for the Church, Adolph Anton Bordun, Nykola Eliuk and Fedor Olynyk acquired the one-acre cemetery property from Fedor Olynyk.
The cemetery is administered, operated and maintained by the members of the St. Peter and St. Paul Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Sundown Inc. organization. It is located on Provincial Road 201, approximately 750 meters west of Sundown, on Lot 1, Plan 4564.
Over the years trees have been planted, a new fence erected, a sign and directory built, and benches donated. These improvements serve to create a serene atmosphere and a special place for families to visit, reflect and cherish memories.
The Church annually conducts Provody, a memorial service for the purpose of honouring and remembering the deceased buried in the Cemetery. The memorial service is followed by a potluck lunch at the cemetery. Families may give out kolach and fruit to those present in memory of their deceased relatives. This service and social gathering has an atmosphere of celebration of the lives of the deceased and their contributions to their family and community and is important to members of the Church.
last updated: 31-Mar-2022